British Roasted Potatoes
These beautifully browned on the outside, fluffy on the inside oven roasted potatoes can be paired with a perfectly grilled steak, juicy oven-roasted chicken, or succulent pan-seared salmon.
- 4 large Rickey Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons peanut or avocado oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set a steamer basket in a large pot and add 1-2 inches of water, bring to a rigorous simmer. Add the potato chunks, cover the pot and steam for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively, the potatoes can be boiled until done then drained.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes to a heat proof mixing bowl and toss the potatoes vigorously to rough up the surface.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Once preheated, add the oil to a heavy sheet pan or roasting pan and put in the oven to heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan, carefully add the potatoes, and toss to coat in the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until potatoes are deep brown and crispy, 45 minutes to an hour. Turn potatoes halfway through baking so they cook evening.
- Serve hot.
Save the potato peels to make Irish nachos by drying the peels, pan-frying them until crispy. You can top them with sharp cheddar cheese and chives and serve with sour cream or a Ranch-style dressing for dipping.