Cypriot Crispy Fried Potatoes with Eggs
Patates me ta avga ok is a traditional potato dish in Cyprus that can be served for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. It’s important to use a firm cooking type potato, like Fenway Red, for this dish so the potatoes keep their shape while cooking.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ pounds Fenway Red potatoes, diced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3 green onions, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ lemon, plus more lemon wedges for serving
- Heat olive oil a large skillet on medium high heat. Add diced potatoes and cook until tender throughout and edges are brown and crispy, seasoning with salt and pepper as you cook.
- Add eggs and diced green onions to the potatoes, gently stirring until the eggs are set. Season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Squeeze lemon half over the potato and egg mixture, serve hot.
You don’t need to peel Fenway Red potatoes; the skin is thin and it contributes fiber to the final dish.