North Indian Cumin Potatoes
Potatoes are a very popular vegetable in India. This simple potato side dish, Aloo Jeera, gets its alluring aromas and enticing flavors from a variety of spices, herbs, and aromatics. Serve with roasted or rotisserie chicken or baked fish.
1 pound (about 4) Colomba potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, butter, or ghee
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 green chili, minced (such as Serrano peppers)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon cayenne powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a knife but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add cumin seeds and fry lightly just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ginger, chili, garlic, and salt and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat, add the coriander, cayenne powder, and turmeric, cook for an additional minute stirring constantly.
- Add water and lemon juice and let cook until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and toss gently to coat. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes on low heat, until the potatoes are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.