Pakistani Curried Potatoes
Food cultures that embrace vegetarian eating styles will serve a dish like this as the main course accompanied by warm flat bread. Serve with a sliced cucumbers and tomatoes for a complete meal.
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup tap water
- 1 pound Sifra potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems, plus more for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat, add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato, ginger, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander, and water, stir, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, toss to coat, cover the pan, and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeño and cilantro, cook for an additional 5 minutes uncovered, and serve. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
Sifra potatoes tend to cook very quickly, which makes them a wonderful ingredient when time is tight!